Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Halloween Costumes 2013 (part 2)

Now for Ezra's costume. I love me a good paper maché costume. It's cheap, it's easy, but it certainly does not store well. This, in fact, did not really survive the night. A 2-yr old and paper maché aren't exactly a great match. But I do have suggestions for making it work, below. Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc.

I did add the little horns after this photo shoot, because I realized I forgot them, but the new photos didn't turn out great. Ez liked to hold onto them as handles. The arms and legs are just footless tights from WeLoveColors.com, my go-to source for tights in any color. And I paper-machéd a 36" balloon (Amazon.com or local party supply stores), doing 3 or 4 or 5 layers, so it would be strong enough. Plus some green spray paint. What I should have done though is layered the inside with duct tape to toddler-proof it. I did that around the neck as we were heading out the door to trick-or-treat, but it could have used a little more, especially since he fell once. I also had bought a blue baseball cap and had good intentions of putting an MU logo on it, but got busy and lazy and wasn't sure he'd wear it anyway, so I skipped that. The eye and mouth I painted on with acrylic paint, and that's what really saved it.


My kids both loved the costume, and Ezra loved wearing it, despite his lack of maneuverability. And that' all that really matters, isn't it? Pin It

5 comments:

Lori said...

i was wondering what he turned out to be for halloween. so cute! so clever! love it!

Marrian said...

Awesome!! You are so creative! I need some of your creativity to rub off on me!!!

Dave said...

Both of their costumes are great! -Patti

friv4school said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vanessa said...

Stinkin' cute! But my question is... How did you get him into it? I'll be making this for an 8 year old.